Thursday, June 5, 2008

Baguette Challenge!

Okay, so I've moved to NYC for the summer. Now that things are starting to settle down, I can start baking again. YES. Birthing a new starter is first on the list of necessary tasks.

A thought occurred to me this morning while shaving. I should hold a baguette recipe challenge! The idea is as follows.

1. Collect baguette recipes that have worked well for me in the past (Peter Reinhart's standard French bread recipe, Julia Child's baguettes, pain a l'ancienne, my own recipe as described earlier on the blog).

2. Assemble a panel of judges who are familiar with baguettes, and generally familiar with the French Touch.

3. Gather a modest selection of cheese and wine, to give the bread-eaters some incentive beyond the loaves alone.

4. Calculate rising times and proofing times such that all loaves may be baked at once.

5. Find a Friday night where everyone is free (I don't have work or class during the day, so I can spend the whole day baking), bake, test, and voila! We can work together to find the best recipe.

Okay, time to run to class.

No comments: